[fancy_header1 textColor=”#ffffff”]ORTON-GILLINGHAM COURSE COMPLETION REQUIREMENTS FOR INITIAL TRAINING[/fancy_header1]
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited institution of higher learning
- Completion of trainee application and required paperwork
- Completion of 45 hours of coursework that meets Children’s Dyslexia Centers, Inc. (CDC) specified instructional standards.
- Quizzes and exams utilized to evaluate content knowledge and teaching performance.
- Submission of four written reports from required reading list, indicating understanding by trainee.
- Deliver a minimum of 100 lessons consisting of instruction in CDC specified content, twice a week for a minimum of fifty minutes that include supervised and guided practice of the program.
- Lesson plans are written and reviewed for each lesson, and students’ written work is kept for review by the practicum supervisor.
- For a trainee not demonstrating the required level of competency, the practicum may be extended until required level of competency is achieved.
- Completion of a minimum of ten observed lessons throughout the practicum, with feedback from an approved Practicum Supervisor or Trainer. In some circumstances, it may be necessary to use video for up to three observations, with permission from the Director of Training. These must be for a full fifty-minute session, unedited and with written documentation of competencies and verbal feedback within 10 days. When needed, more observations may be required.
- Written evaluation of trainee’s performance at 4 months, and written recommendation by trainer for certification.
- Written recommendation from Director of Center, indicating verification of trainee’s file.
- After successful completion of these requirements, the Center Director will submit documentation to the Supervisor of Clinical Affairs, requesting that the Trainee be certified at the Initial Level.
BENEFITS FOR THE TUTOR TRAINEE
- Free Orton-Gillingham training at our Center leads to Initial Level Certification.
- Certified teachers are eligible for 180 hours of Act 48 credit.
- Graduate credit available throughPennState.
- Employment opportunities at our Center after completion of training
[button link=”http://childrensdyslexiacenterallentown.org/tutorapp/” size=”small” bgColor=”#bf0000″ textColor=”#fffffff” target=”blank”]Apply Now[/button]